2015. január 8., csütörtök

Stripes

After the sock-invasion last year, this year started with... socks. We need them, the temperature outside is -20 C, so all the family wears knitted socks right now. Both indoors on the carpet and outdoors in our boots.
I especially need them, as I walk to the office - only 3 km-s but it takes 35 minutes -, and then back home, and believe me: to make it a nice walk I need knitted socks, knitted gloves and lined hat.
This time I made striped socks. And not one, but two pairs.
I have this love-and-hate relationship with selfstriping sockyarn. I love striped socks IF they look the same and maintain the rhythm of the stripes. Which is sometimes quite difficult to obtain.
First: how do socks look the same? If one finds the EXACT similar spot on the yarn-segments. I am perfecting myself in this, anyhow, there are occasions when I must restart a sock many times. Like 5-6 times. Which is really annoying.
This time it was quite easy, as the striping was regular and easy to understand and follow.
Then, there is another issue, of having the yarn tails the same length on both socks. I use to compare them, after having the initial knot done (I use to position it a few times).
I made Judy's magic cast-on, and the socks for myself started their evolution on my needles.
The other issue is harder to cope with: maintaining the rhythm of the stripes. It is easy on the socks' tube-like parts, but it is impossible to make the heels with the same yarn and have the stripes as they went before.
But this time I was really lucky: I had to start the heels at a pink part, so I introduced a new yarn, just for the heels. I had this pink, which is not exactly the same color, but it is much closer to the sockyarn's pink that I could find for any other color on the yarn. (I had the idea for the blue also, but it was much darker than this one, so I am glad that heels were made in pink.)
My socks were finished in 5 days, and then I started the small ones. But: if I wanted to have them quite similar I had to calculate what part of the yarn to use for CO to have pink heels. This took me some time.
But eventually they are done.
So we have another pair of mother-daughter socks.
PS1: two-at-a-time, toe-up on 2.5 mm needles.
PS2: I have a yarn that I could not identify a pattern in its striping, so knitting socks of it that I like will be especially hard...

1 megjegyzés:

  1. At -20 you definitely need everything wool! Your socks have turned out beautifully. The lack of matching puts me off self patterning yarn too but you have found a great solution here and they look lovely :)

    VálaszTörlés